Monday, November 06, 2006

A Birth Story

For those of you that are interested in my birth story. Wanna hear it, read it rather, here it goes:

On one sunny day that is September 30 around noonish, I was chillin’ at my pad talking on the phone with a friend. She happened to say something funny so I laughed and I thought I peed myself as some pregnant women do. I changed and went on about my business when it happens again. So I went to change again and I could no longer hold it in. TMI? Yes. I waited a while looked through all 12 of my pregnancy books to see if it was pee or if my water broke. All arrows pointed to water but I wanted it to be me urinating. So I called my OB and he sent me to the hospital stat. We left in a hurry but not before Alfonso grabbed all the photo gear. I was so not in the mood to be in photos with my wet pants. He tried to drive like Starsky but I put a kibosh on that. We get there and I’m dripping all the way up to labor and delivery. The first thing they tell me is I may have to stay there for 3 weeks. 3 weeks would be full term (37 weeks). My water indeed broke and there is no better incubator for the baby than my uterus. So thoughts of my bed and my pillows flashed before my eyes and new thoughts of my ass hurting and not being able to sleep on my back replaced them. The perinatologist came in to see me shortly after and said that I would have to wait at the longest 1 week. At 33 weeks the baby’s lungs are not fully developed and they want the baby to have time to grow a little more. At 5 lb. though a baby has a better chance because he is bigger and may not need as much help breathing. If he wants to come now he can and contractions will not be stopped. A Dr. from the NICU came to see us and to explain that Diego may have to stay for 3 weeks. He may need help breathing and eating. I was admitted and moved into anti partum. At 2 am contractions started and every time I told the nurse that it hurt she told me to drink water or go to the bathroom. That got old real quick so I stopped telling her and just suffered through them. Alfonso held my hand and would not leave my side. He said “If you’re uncomfortable I have to be too”. He sat in a chair the whole night. Walked me to the bathroom every hour on the hour because I kept drinking water and kept leaking fluid. 8 am came and shifts changed. The new nurse came in and I made sure to immediately tell her that this sh** hurt man. She asked if I could wait a little longer and of course I said yes. 10 am came and everyone was trying to prolong the labor. 2 pm came and finally I said “I can’t take it anymore”. I was sent back to labor and delivery. The nurse there checked me out and I happened to be 6 cm dilated. The anesthesiologist came to visit and an epidural was provided. Ahhh relief. I was now 9 cm dilated at around 4ish. At around 5ish I was still 9 cm dilated. Diego was stuck on my pelvic bone. Cesarean was now a must. 6:16 pm a baby boy was born. NICU came and got him brought him to me let me kiss him and took him away. I didn’t get to bond with him. I was taken to recuperate in recovery where my mom, dad and a good friend were waiting for us. There Alfonso and I shared our moment. A moment to talk about the miracle that is life. To talk about how much we love each other and how our lives have changed forever. Mom and Dad came in to congratulate. I’ve never seen my dad the way I did this day. He was worried about me and in his broken English he asked the nurses if I was going to be okay. The oxygen tube and the fact that I was shaking like I was having crack withdrawals scared him. Visiting hours were over and we were then moved to a room. I couldn’t drink anything and I was still on ice chips. Let me tell you that these ice chips were the best ever. EVER. The next day we went to see Diego. The little tubes killed me. He however is the most beautiful boy I’ve ever seen and I’m not just saying that because he’s my son.
He’s furry and looks like a monchichi.
He has jaundice and is under a light. His cries sound like pig squeals. He’s perfect. I was released the next day and every day after that until 10/10 we went to see him. He was released to us on 10/10. He’s doing great! He weighs 5 lb. 10 oz. less than his birth weight but that’s normal. 10/13 was his first Dr.’s appointment and he now weighed 5 lb. 14 oz. I’m pretty sure that now he weighs about 7 lb. He’s heavy and has the biggest cheeks ever. He’s storing nuts.

I cried from the day I left the hospital until the day he came home and then some. Leaving him there was the hardest thing to do. It got to the point where I didn't want to go see him because I knew the sadness that would follow. I would literally leave me gasping for air when we'd leave the hospital because of the emotion. I'm so happy he's home. Sleepless nights and all, I wouldn't have it any other way.

Alfonso was and has been here for me every second. A new love between us was also born on this day. It gave us more passion and more admiration for each other. Recovering from the c-section was tough. My mom was here for me every day. She would brush my hair, help me shower and clothe. She’d feed us and clean for us. My dad still calls at least every other day on his lunch break and every day from home to see how we’re doing and how I feel. I am truly blessed to have these people in my life. My mom thinks Diego is her son and makes the same joke every day but damn that lady has done so much for us.

Diego keeps us up at night because he wants to eat, sh**, hiccup eat again and then sleep. Sometimes keeping us up for 3 hours at a time in the middle of the night. Little punk. He’s brought new things to our world and has shown us a whole new meaning to the word love.


Monique said...

I read this yesterday and I re-read it just now...and it's made me laugh and cry both times....I wish you and your beautiful family the best my friend.

Golightly said...

That was such a touching story. I wish you guys the best love. He is presh. And am so happy you are close to your family that is giving you guys all that you need and more.

Bev said...

Awww, too cute.

That must've been rough leaving him behind. My mom had to do that w/my brothers 'cause they were twins and born early, like two months early. Another difference, the hospital they were at was like an hour away from home.

Yay, I'm so happy for you and Alfonso.