Sunday, August 05, 2007

I want you to want me

So many stories to tell so little time. So many thoughts run thru my mind and I so badly want to transfer them on to paper anywhere really but move them out of my mind.

A good friend of mine “E” wants me to tell you this story. A story about a daddy trying to put his son to sleep. Erase una vez a wonderful husband was trying to put his son back to sleep. He didn’t want to wake his wife and ask for help so he did only what he thought he should. He hummed him a song. He’s heard me hum and sing “You are my sunshine” to Diego many times. He doesn’t know the lyrics and really neither do I. I sing only the chorus and that does the trick. The trick in our case is calm Diego down. I’m laying in bed at it’s so late at night thirty. I hear him humming. I listen closer. I open my eyes briefly and say to myself. “Is he humming ‘I want you to want me’?” I fell back asleep and the next day while I’m having a conversation with said friend, I remembered. I called him to ask him if in fact he was humming a Cheap Trick song to Diego. “Si pues es que empecé con you are my chanchine y no me acordaba de la canción así que termine con I want you to want me. Se durmió así que significa que hice algo bien”. It worked my friends. I’m contacting Cheap Trick and asking them to put out a lullaby cd.

After telling this story to E she said that stories like that make her want to have kids. It made me happy. Not that she wants to be in club Mom but that I don’t make motherhood look dreadful. I shouldn’t say “I” because there’s no “I” in team. We make parenthood look doable (I started to say fun but then decided that maybe that’s not the word). It’s a whole lot of hard work but it’s all worth it when in the end you can put a smile on that little pedazo de carne’s face.

6 comments:

Cisco said...

At this age they are also perfect for road trps, because they just sit there and can't ask, "Are we there yet"....

You are my sunshine
my only sunshine
you make me happy
when skys are gray
you'll never know dear
how much I love you
so don't take my sunshine away

The other night dear
while I was sleeping
I thought I held you in my arms
when I awoke dear, I was mistaken
So I hung my head and cried.


That last part always squeezes at my heart and almost makes me cry.

Coco said...

You are my sunshine...
y a llorar!!

I LOVED your post...
all one needs is "love",
the words don't matter,
but the feeling- el cariño y la ternura needs to be there!

No, "good" parenting is not easy,
but it sure is worth it!

Bendiciones.

bevy said...

He looks so adorable all sound asleep. I'm actually kinda jealous of little Diego.

Coco said...

stopping by to see how you're doing. que todos esten bien!

abrazos y besos!

bendiciones.

Monique Rielle said...

He's gorgeous..just like his Mommy.
*I'd missed you too*

Suvii said...

he is too cute for words!!! Whay haven't you posted in a while? How are things?