Monday, August 08, 2005

Que tienen tus ojos Pt. 2

The night Alfonso proposed was the day my life changed forever. Obviously. It changed relationships, not only with my family but with some friends.

My little brother was not having it. No one was going to take his best friend. No one was good enough for me especially not Alfonso. There was a history with Alfonso that has not yet been told but will be one day. Little bro didn’t want me to get hurt. He wanted no part in sharing the happiness.

Alfonso proposed on Christmas Eve. He let my family (Mom, Dad, Brothers, Sister’s in Law, Nieces and one of his cousins there for support) know that I was special and that he loves me. I’m the one he wants to marry and if they’ll have him he’d love to be a part of the family. Honestly it was all a blur and the Captain sure didn’t help. Eric wouldn’t come out of the room. When he did it was all over and he basically just grunted. Everyone else was either crying tears of joy or hugging me. My parents gave me their blessing and on we went with the planning. Until about 1 month before our wedding my brother was still not too happy about it. He’d help with some stuff but he still wasn’t sure who this guy was and what he was doing with this sister. My little brother for some reason was always more protective than my older brother. At the wedding he cried. At the reception he told Fonz’s brother that his brother was taking away his best friend. This makes me so sad but at the same time it’s so cute how protective he is. Now, when I say something to the effective of “you want to talk to your brother in law” he says “no, I want to talk to my friend”. His perspective has changed and he now sees that he didn’t lose a sister or a best friend but gained a brother and a friend.

My older brother has always been more patient and understanding but to himself. Unless you’re in his face he doesn’t really care what you do. He saw the way Fonz changed me. What was once a solemn face now illuminated the room. He knew that it would all be okay and reassured me.

My parents were happy for me but I could see that they were still in shock somewhat. I mean for years they hounded me to get married, now it’s happening and what are they supposed to hound me about now. My mom didn’t join in the planning until the very end. I think she didn’t know how to act or what emotions to show. I think that’s a Mexican Mom type of thing because I’ve seen similar traits in some of my friend’s mom’s. She came around. I have never seen her more proud of me than on my wedding day. She was so happy and as she’s said “No one was going to ruin my day”. You see it was not my day it was hers. I’m glad that she felt that way. For once in a long, long time I saw her so happy and enjoying herself. She was doing shots of Patron for the love of Pete.

My dad well he’s my daddy. He would make comments to the effect of “you’re leaving me”. I cried when I left home. I remember one day close to the wedding hearing a song on the radio when Alfonso and I were running errands. The song was one my dad used to sing on Sunday mornings. My dad loves to sing. LOUD. I cried thinking that what once annoyed me is now something I’m going to miss terribly. My dad did all he could to help on our wedding day. He accepted Alfonso and has treated Alfonso as if he were his son.

The way my parents look at me now is so different than when I lived at home. Maybe it’s that they or we took each other for granted or maybe it’s just that for once in my life they viewed me as an adult and no longer the little girl? I’ll always be their little girl but now they respect me as a woman, a wife, a daughter, and soon (God willing) a mother. I love what their eyes say to me when they look at me. I love that they shine so brightly.

They’ve been loving, giving parents and without them we wouldn't be who we are today. They've lead the path and now it's our turn to start our own. We only hope that we can provide to our family all what they've provided to us. They've had very little and the little they've had they've given to us. They molded us. They’re the light that guides us.

4 comments:

Jezebel said...

This was beautiful. :)

Yummerson said...

Thank you!!

Anonymous said...

That was an adorable story! I think my sister will be relieved when I finally get married...actually, maybe not...I wasn't relieved when she moved in with her boy...

Yummerson said...

Isn't it funny how we feel that way? If my little brother could have it his way I'd be single the rest of my life so I would always be there for him. Selfish, I know but kind of cute!