Tuesday, February 07, 2006

Notice anyone?

Is it just my culture where invites are given the day of the event and you’re expected to attend? Not attendance appreciated, but attendance expected. Me no likey when I’m expected to do things. My mom just called to invite me to a “carne asada” today.

Me: Dang you Mexicans. No thanks.
Mom: Ay porque? Porque me contestas tan cortante?
Me: Porque cortante? Dije no thanks. Para que esperan hasta el día para invitar?
Mom: Porque no quieres venir?
Me: Porque yo ya había hecho planes de lo que iba a hacer de cenar hoy.
Mom: Pues porque no lo guardas y lo haces mañana.
Me: Porque lo quiero hacer hoy y no mañana.
Mom: Tu papa saco la carne el domingo pero como los muchachos se fueron a ver el juego.
Mom: Yo no nada mas te estoy diciendo lo que me dijo tu Papa.
Me: Mira que obediente.
Mom; Okay bye.

First of all, I’m not a big fan of the carne asada. For 30 years it was our Sunday dinner. I like it but not every Sunday and most of the time the mere mention of it makes me want to kick a puppy. I don’t like the meat my Dad picks. I like the meat my husband picks. It’s tender, juicy and very flavorful. Dad’s is dry and tastes like charcoal cardboard with some pepper on it. Sorry Dad. Sunday would have been great to have this delicacy however, they didn’t because “the boys” wouldn’t be there. F them. I was there damn it! I wanted to make some tortas with that meat. We didn’t know he had it but I had talked Alfonso into getting some on the way there. If Alfonso gets the meat it means that it will be yum yum gimme some. Back to my original point, what’s with this short notice shit? I don’t like that. Alfonso’s brother does the same thing and then will get butt hurt if we have other plans. I plan my days from the moment I get up in the morning. I like to mentally prepare myself for things as dumb as that sounds. Nothing better get in my way of those plans or else. My day started out poopy and that’s why this bugs me today more so than it would on an average day.

I have so much stuff I want to post about but I don’t really want this to be a page long post. I think that if I do save the other stuff for another day my feelings may change and I will no longer feel like posting it.

6 comments:

Coco said...

hijole!!
i too get into squables (with my mom) regarding last minute invites...i don't like them! it's a cultural thing with which i cannot adhere to!!

my mom's feelings get hurt if i don't eat there with her...i have to at least taste it, and make a taco to go. las mamis...

cuidate!

ps
your party sounds like it was a BLAST!
y las fotos dónde estan?

Yummerson said...

Ay Coco! My mom is the same way. Her feelings get hurt if we're at her house and don't want to eat. Pero que le vamos a hacer. I'm with you on not adhering to that one. I can't either.

Click on the title of the highlights of the party post. The pics are there and there's a link to the left that's title Pictures. You can see them there.

I'm happy to hear from you amiga!

Cisco said...

It is a cultural thing,...
Ever have a relative show up at your door unninvited?..

wink, wink..

True sign of Mexicanness I guess.

Yummerson said...

Oh. Sure is a sign of Mexicanismo. Very very sore subject with me.

bevy said...

The thing about a last minute invite is that they shouldn't get all upset if you're not available. HELLO! You invited the person last minute, what do you expect?

Yummerson said...

Exactly. I always feel so pressured.