Thursday, July 07, 2011

6 months

Today marks 6 months. 6 months since I said hello and goodbye to Ruby. It truly feels longer than 6 months. I still can close my eyes and replay every single moment from that dreadful evening of January 6th to the second she was born. Maybe I'll tell you my story on the year anniversary. I have an easier time vocalizing the story than writing it. Not sure why.

So many things have changed since then. I've lost 4 friendships. For the better I would say. It was long overdue. I won't go into details because some still like to lurk here and I don't want to get into a war of what's right and wrong. All I know is what's right for my life.
Remember that scene in "My Best Friend's Wedding" (ironic) where Dermot is chasing Cameron and Julia is chasing Dermot? Then she calls her best friend and he asks her "Who's chasing you?". That was what these friendships were like. No one was chasing me. I asked and referred to that scene in my head years and years in our friendship. One event was the final straw and because I'm working towards a better me, a better life, I decided that it was time to let go of the fair weather friends and time to focus more on me, my family and those that choose to be a part of me. Through the good and the bad.


I also just recently celebrated my 37th birthday. 37 years of life. Wow. I don't feel older. I feel the same. It's amazing how much faster time goes by the older I get.

Diego and I say a little prayer every day before I take him to daycare. We say "Diosito ayudenos a portarnos bien. Que esta semana se vaya rapido para estar juntos Mami, Papi y Yeyo. Cuidenos Diosito. Amen." Why I'm teaching my son to pray for time to go fast I'm not sure. He so looks forwards to weekends and being able to stay in bed but more than that to be home with Mom and Dad. He looks forward to Sundays because those are the days that I let him sleep with us. Sundays and Mondays. I let him for selfish reasons. It's so hard to get him to wind down on Sunday nights and when he sleeps with us he has an easier time falling asleep. Monday is the same thing. It's back to the routine so it can be a little hectic. Anything to make life easier right?


Diego is very good at complimenting and telling people they do a good job at something. The other day we were driving and I can't remember the specifics of what I did but the conversation went like this:
Diego: "Mom, you sure are a good driver. Papi is too."
Me: "You're such a good complimenter. That's nice m'ijo."
Alfonso: "How do you do that? Can you teach me how to be like you?"
Diego: "Papi, you just have to say nice things. You can't say things like "I hate you" because that's not nice. You just have to think with your brain and think of something nice to say."
The lesson went on for quite a bit and my eyes welled up and my heart skipped a beat. I looked over at Alfonso and he said "Isn't it amazing that he's 4 and knows this?". To me it is. He's amazing.
He's so appreciative of "things" too. Whenever he sees something new in the house (even if it's not for him specifically) he gets so emotional and shows such appreciation. He walked in to a new TV and the tears started and he ran up and hugged us and expressed so many thank you's it left us speechless. We (by we I mean Alfonso) rearranged his bedroom and he was again, in tears and couldn't thank us enough. He just gets so overwhelmed. I'd like to sit in his head for a day just to see what goes on in there at those times. Those times and when he throws a random "I love you" my way.


Despite all the challenges life brings on a daily basis, I'm grateful.

1 comment:

bevy said...

Diego sounds so delicious. I definitely need to be more like him, appreciative and more complimentary.